Sunday, December 18, 2011

Will you marry me?

about six years later... 18 December 2011, Chiang Mai

I asked Franny to marry me a few days ago on a deserted beach on the island of Koh Phra Thong. She said yes. The ring I bought didn't fit but somehow that doesn't matter that much. At least she liked the ring itself.

On our first date we went to Chiang Mai Kitchen in Oxford. I remember both F and T thought it was over the top going to a fancy restaurant but I thought fuck it. Also, at the time it was the only restaurant I liked in Oxford. After dinner we went to G&D's. I'm pretty sure I had Bananarama. We would come to eat a lot of Bananarama in the next few months.

Anyway, it's weird to be typing this from an internet cafe in the real Chiang Mai. Today we ate some great Khao soi and then later in the evening a lot of amazing street food at the Sunday market. In fact, the Sunday market is still going on but I decided to take a break. I'm drinking a cold Chang classic in the internet cafe - Thailand is a chilled out country. Tomorrow, we are taking an all day cooking class. I'm in the middle of reading 1Q84. Angry birds are huge in Thailand. It all feels very natural. Strange how life plays out.