Tuesday, September 27, 2005

9 to 5

I don't remember exactly how I fell into the 9 to 5 schedule. I didn't have to go to office or anything like that. I guess it just happened. I think I kept it up for two weeks. And I am glad that I did because it was very good for work. Somehow, there was a sense of purpose and the ideas (if you can call them that) came when I needed them.

Often, in the past, I had come close to keeping this schedule but this was the first time that there was a consistency in the routine. In some ways, it was very strange. Not strange bad, but not good strange either. After a few days, it slowly started taking a toll on me. In ways that are hard to describe. I felt displaced and tired, like a fish swimming against the current. Physically though, I was fine. I made it a point to go for a walk every day at 6pm. And then I'd cook myself a good meal at about 8pm. It couldn't have been sleep - I was getting exactly 8 hours of sleep. Maybe it was the solitude? Or the intensity of the project? In the end, I think it was being out of sync with everyone else. After all, not many people sleep between 9am and 5pm.