Friday, September 23, 2005

the right shoe

I've loved shoes (sneakers to be exact) ever since I was a kid. I actually don't really remember my childhood but that's what my aunt tells me. When asked what I wanted for my birthday, apparently I would shoot back - PT shoes. Not LEGO, but PT shoes. But maybe you don't know what PT shoes are. They're these light white rubber shoes with two stripes on the sides and a thin sole. Sort of like the trendy 'converse' shoes in the market these days. Unlike converse shoes, PT shoes are really cheap (yes, it wasn't a very clever present to ask for but I was ten). PT shoes are really comfortable. And they were the first shoes I really liked. When I started running much later in life, I was really excited about buying NIKE AIR. Then I progressed to ASICS.

But like life, my shoes have come full circle (actually, my life hasn't come full circle). Last month, I wanted to buy a pair of simple sneakers I could just wear casually (they say its not good to wear your running shoes when you're not running). So I went to this boutique shoe shop with my friend. And the way I often instantly like someone (or come to think of it, dislike someone instantly), I liked this one pair. My friend liked them too. They were expensive and 20 pounds more than my budget. We both looked at the shoes for a while. Then my friend said, its just one dinner. Yeah, just one dinner, I said.

I walked out of the shop wearing my brand new white sneakers. Now here's the funny thing: the left shoe was the most comfortable shoe in the world but not so the right one.

A month later, the right shoe still gives me some trouble. But it's getting better. Some days, it's almost like its neighbour (the left shoe). You might find this a bit strange, but I feel that the day I find Franny, the right shoe will fit like the left. I feel.